Thursday, September 13, 2007

Our Friend Mae


Here is our friend Mae she is our 95 years old. Mae in this photo had just had all her teeth pulled and had gotten new teeth. During our performances we continue to dress the residents in fun things. This day we put a blonde wig on Mae. We handed Mae a mirror and she said "Wow I never knew I could look this pretty!!!" We encouraged Mae that she didn't need to have a wig to be pretty. Her sweet heart and her always ready smile lit up a room!!(even before she got her new teeth she always smiled. ) Our constant advice is if you are ever bored and don't know what to do, go to a Nursing Home Facility and give yourself the best gift you can give to someone who is lonely and just needs someone to talk to. Here is a special note about Mae:<) Our Dear Friend has a prosodic arm and often we clap when we sing songs. One day she said to me “I wish I could clap still.” I said to her” YOU CAN!!!” I took my hand and started to clap with her hand. Mae said to me “You made my day!!” So now most every time when we sing “If your happy and you know it”, “This is the Day The Lord Has Made” and “I’m Sooo Glad Jesus Set Me Free”. Mae claps with me!! What a joy Mae is and a blessing to others when people see Mae make lemonade!!!(When life gives you a lemon you make lemonade!!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the best advice anyone can do. I remember when I was in Brownies and we went and sang Christmas carols at the nursing home in Mio. I cried because even though we made them happy, I felt sad because I felt they were alone. So many family members put their family members in the facilities and don't even visit. They don't want nothing to do with them and it is sad. It is their flesh and blood. And when they pass, they are like little vultures wanting whatever little money is left in their trust. I have seen it and it makes me soo angry. And I can't come out and say, where were you when they needed you because I would be reprimanded.
But I sure think it.
Your advice was great. To show these residents you care and do things with them is the best thing for them.
Love you both. Keep up the good work

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.